Thursday, May 19, 2011

Victoria

About 8 weeks ago, I noticed Victoria's chest was dragging again, and she was kicking at it as she walked. Not wanting it to split open again, I once again brought her up to the house...(The hospital isn't finished yet.)
Well we became reaquainted roomies quite quickly...She was no where near as bad as she was when I had to play doctor the previous time. So I softened her food, gave her clean water and kept an eye on her. The following weekend I took her back down into the field to frollic with the rest of the hens for the day. At the end of the day, she looked pretty pooped, so I brought her back up to the house. When I realized her chest wasn't going down, I emptied her by making her throw up. (Tipping her upside down.) Well she clogged my sink and fought a little bit, knocking my brush into the sink... *gag. She felt much better and was a lot perkier after that, but I, needed two bottles of drano and a new brush.
Every day I had planned to take her back down to the coop because she was doing great...but in the morning her crop was full again. (It's supposed to empty and digest at night.) The morning after my birthday, the day I went to get Lucy, Vickie wasn't looking so hot...I went to get her some applesauce...and when I came back she was laying down... I picked her up into my lap and she looked at me and then closed her eyes. And that was it...she was gone... I cried as I tried to wake her up....trying to curl her claws around my finger...I rocked her and cried for about 15 minutes. I can't count how many times I had saved that chicken's life....but she wasn't meant for one more. I know it was probably what was best for her...once a chicken has a pendulum crop, they have it forever, and it is something that she would have always had to deal with... I loved that stupid chicken...
RIP Victoria

1 comment:

  1. I'm very sorry for your loss. Thanks so much for sharing again. I really enjoy reading about your farming adventures. Do you have any plans to put up some pics of your goats?

    ReplyDelete