Monday, June 6, 2011

Me and the Queen Bee

A few weeks ago, I noticed a queen was building a paper hive at the entrance to the barn, inside...and I knew I had to take care of it...but I didn't want to spray it, because it was right around the babies...
So I would watch this thing get bigger...watching the queen go in and out...
And then finally, Saturday night when I was leaving the barn, I saw her leave and this motherly instinct took over...With a dozen eggs in one hand, and my 6 ft level in the other, I smashed it against a rafter...(It was about the size of a lemon). For a second I was devastated it smashed, because I wanted to take it to the house to show M...and then the next second, I saw a yellow jacket climb out of the smashed hut....WHEN THE F*$& did she get a roommate?! So the yellow jacket started to fly, and I assumed it was after me...so with my eggs tucked under my arm like a football, I started to run. I ran a circle around the Tahoe before diving into the passenger seat and slamming the door...waiting to see if the bee would be stinging my window...I climbed into the driver's seat and looked around to see if the bee was circling my car...looking for a way in. I even closed the air vents just in case.
I then worried all night that she was going to sting the babies just to get back at me for demolishing her condo...

No comments:

Post a Comment