Monday, June 13, 2011

Little Goat Field Trips

Well, for the first two weeks the goats were home, I kept them in their stall in the barn so they could get used to me, and know who mom was and where home was. After that we went on our first little goat field trip. I opened their gate and walked out toward the pasture. They were a little timid, but they followed me...like ducks in a row out toward the fire pit. When I got to the middle of the field, they all stood around my legs...not at all exploring. So I walked a little more, and they got back in line, but as soon as I stopped, they again gathered around my feet. I couldn't help but wonder if I could get them to walk in formation, like the Blue Angels...but just a little different. I was a little disappointed that no one was trying out the field grass. It was quite long, (about to my knees) and I expected them to start putting a dent in their new found shmorgazboard. Not so much...
Lucy picked up a pinecone in her mouth and carried it for a few seconds. Then a little stick like she was a dog. I couldn't help but sigh. As their mama did I need to get down on my hands and knees and show them what they should be doing?? I picked a blade of grass, and tried giving it to Apollo. He looked at me. "BAA!" Ok...grass sucks...I get it..how bout some clover? "BAA!" When he opened his mouth, the clover stuck to his lip, and then it fell, and he looked down at it....nothing. So I continued on our field trip, up the hill and around the big tree...After that they ran back into the barn. I guessed the field trip was over...and was glad they recognized where home was.
On the second field trip, we took the same path out toward the firepit. The goats stayed close behind me because they couldn't see over the grass. Once we got to the firepit, they got a little braver, but didn't stray more than a foot or two away from me. Still, no grass eating. Lucy, must have realized she had legs, because she bolted full speed to the barn, like a little deer. When I called her to come back she rounded the truck and came flying back ears flying out at the sides. It was, honest to God, one of the cutest things I had ever seen. She kept running and darting, and the boys would look at me, and look at her, and then back again. Little Apollo had a "Mom, is Lucy adopted?" look on his face. We went back around the big tree again, and Lucy actually tried a blade of grass...and then picked up a stick.
The goats have been out several times now. I tell them, "Let's go for a field trip," and they get excited. Sometimes, they run into the work room when I'm not looking, and I have to shoo them out. I ended up mowing the field to make it a little easier for them to explore, and now they all eat grass. Although...it is only one blade at a time. Maybe I need more goats...

No comments:

Post a Comment