Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Whose the loser lam-o now?!

Hooking up the power in the well house take 2! Yesterday when I got home from work...I just couldn't take it anymore...
I dropped Mariah off at the house with directions on flipping breakers for me, and headed down to the barn. The sun was going down and I grabbed my tool bag and headed for the well house. I flipped off the wood cover and went to grab the metal one when I noticed the huge slug. Freaking gross. It was about an inch and a half wide and 3 inches long. Has anyone noticed Pacific Northwest slugs look like male genitalia?? It's either a cruel joke of our Creator, or a fat coincidence. Eww...
I peered in the well house and looked for any sign of Brutus, Britney, or other family members, and quickly got to work. I pulled electrical tape and wire nuts...had Mariah flip breakers...took voltage readings...the blue wire...no the green wire...definitely not the black or white wires....Thank God I wasn't defusing a bomb...we would have all been cruising through the clouds...
It was only minutes before the mosquitos started swarming, and the frogs began serenading eachother... I looked around and my precious farm turned into the bayou. I half expected to hear the twang of a banjo and see fireflies dancing above the creek.
It was getting dark quickly and I hurried the connection of the wires while stabbing at the mosquitos with my screwdriver. Mosquitos have a thing for me and I am allergic to their bites!!!
I had Mariah flip breakers again and checked with my meter. 120 volts in both receptacles!!! I ran and checked the other receptacle I mounted on a post about 75 feet away. 120 volts. I was a bloody genius!!!
I had Mariah turn off the power and I closed everything up. When I had originally checked power with my meter, one lead read 120 volts and another read 20 volts...which was induced, but explained why the tic tracer showed that all the leads were hot. SO...to all you junior cadet electricians out there, always use your meter...do not rely on a tic tracer! I should have known better...
Anyway there is now power to the barn, and I was home in time for dinner. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment