Saturday, October 23, 2010

Re-wiring, a new compost bin and Fuglyanna

On Sundays, (our only day off) we've been working on the barn. A week or two ago, our county finally lifted the burn ban we had all summer, and the primitive urge in P once again rose to the surface. She started burning in the firepit, and I started ripping all of the old wiring down in the barn. In several areas it had been chewed through, and in others it was crumbling. The wiring couldn't have been more than 30 years old, but its a good plan to start new. Every now and then I peaked my head out of the barn, and P was dragging dead branches around, and gathering some of our smaller lumber scraps. She looked very happy. :)
When all of the wiring on the ground floor was ripped out, I started laying the new wiring back in. Being an electrician at the shipyard, I am sure my wireways are above and beyond what is normally expected, but I am pretty happy with them so far!

At work, I am lucky to be around people who enjoy talking about composting, farming, gardens etc. Most of them buy eggs from me on a regular basis, and they always ask me how my classes are going, etc. A few weeks ago, we were talking about the joys of composting, and one of the guys, John, told me he had just finished building a compost bin for his wife. I have been looking at plans for quite awhile, and haven't found one that was just right...but when he showed me the plan he found, I knew it would be perfect for us! Here is the link: http://www.extension.iastate.edu/Publications/PM683.pdf
So I showed it to P, and she thought it was great! The article shows it made of pressure treated wood, but since we didn't want that leeching into our dirt, we made ours from cedar. It is roughly 3 feet by 9 feet, and has 3 separate "bins". The back, sides and bottom are screened, and the front is 1x6 cedar slats that slide up and down so you can take them out. Next time we clean the pine shavings and chicken poop out of the coop, we will have the perfect place for it!

One of the black australorps we have, (may be the surprise addition) has lost all of the feathers on her neck and down along the top of her butt. She is obviously one of Jun's favorite's, but she looks absolutely ridiculous. Patty has named her Fuglyanna. Maybe I should make her a little scarf since winter is coming...

No comments:

Post a Comment