Monday, January 25, 2010

The last year or so...

Patty and I have been working on the house slowly but surely, and decided to tackle the pasture last year. Bubba has a habit of running, (I don't get why the hell he can't run on his own 5 acres,) so we are taking steps to fence in the lower 3 acres. Until then he has to be on a 150 ft lead....It may sound cruel, but he runs faster than I do, and I don't want him getting hit by a car or shot for being in someone elses yard.
So last year I put about 200 feet of fence up and lost momentum and good weather. As of now there is about 2500 more feet of fence to go....babysteps...
Last year P (what I call Patty sometimes) and I planted several fruit trees. We planted them down the bank of our creek, (so far unnamed) in alphabetical order. This was my idea, and I still feel it was quite ingenious on my part. :) They are baby trees right now, but when they are big, and don't have tags anymore I will still no which is which. They are an Enterprise apple, a Jonagold apple, a monmorency cherry, a rainier cherry (yum), a brown turkey fig, a frost peach, a pear (don't remember the name of it,) and two plums....or was it two pears and one plum? Hmm..I think it's two pears and one plum....We also planted two Carpathian walnut trees...They are babies, but hell...I'm young...it's a great lesson in patience...
We even got our first fruit from our tree last year. Our little 3 foot fig tree gave us a few little figs. The tree had only been in the ground for about 6 weeks, but I took it as a sign that we were possibly potential master gardeners and that it was definitely because of something we had done....

No comments:

Post a Comment