Saturday, September 25, 2010

Wiley Coyote strikes again...

One evening we went down to the barn like we do every night after work. We let the girls out to graze and explore for about 45 minutes while we cleaned waterers, filled food etc. They made their way through the tall grass, and all I could see was the grass jerking right and left wherever a chicken was. They stayed together for the most part, and it didn't take more than a handful of Sun flower seeds (in the shell) to get them back into their coop. We gathered up eggs, and drove up to the house.
I went to the sink to wash the eggs, and looked down to the field...There was that damn coyote! 50 feet from the chicken run! I had no idea where he had come from or where he had been hiding while we were down there! I yelled to Patty, and she went and grabbed her gun. I grabbed the bowl of dinner Mariah had made for me and stood at the window watching the coyote. Mariah came and stood by my side holding her bowl and eating. Patty flew out the door onto the back porch with her 9mm and fired a shot off at the coyote about 300 ft away. The dirt about a foot to the right of his hip exploded into a cloud of dust and he ran. She fired off 3 more shots. Mariah and I just watched, eating our pasta. "It's like watching a movie mom," she said. "The sun setting behind the mountains. The breeze blowing through Patty's hair. And Patty shooting her gun." I smiled, "All we need is popcorn." We could hear P cursing at her near misses while she picked up her shells, and lined them up on the railing. The coyote was long gone..and we haven't seen him since.

No comments:

Post a Comment