Saturday, September 25, 2010

The Farm Tour

Last year we went to the Whidbey Island Farm Tour. It was a tour of about 20 farms on an island, that raised various animals and produce. It was so much fun, we couldn't wait to go again this year.
P packed up her camera, I grabbed the Farm Tour Map, and we headed out for our weekend adventure.
I scoped out the map for about a week before our trip. I was excited to see that the majority of the farms being featured this year were new, and there were some we visited the year before too. The one I was most excited to see had Berkshire Pigs and Heritage turkeys. Two things I am interested in taking on in the next year or two. I couldn't wait to go learn all I could about the raising of these animals!
We grabbed our pumpkin spice lattes, (decaf) and 3 hours, and two ferries later we made it to the beginning of the tour at the bottom of the island. We checked out a few alpaca farms, a new winery that also has grass-fed beef, a few lavender farms, and some CSAs with organic or naturally grown produce. We enjoyed exploring a farmer's market or two, and the weather held out perfectly.
The first day we crammed in about 10 farms during a 6 hour period of time. Patty got some wonderful pictures for her photography and I got tons of great info on fencing, animal shelters and the raising and selling of animals.
We stayed the night at Fort Casey Inn. They turned hundred year old officer's houses into places to stay. The houses were pretty cool, and the photo ops for Patty were great, but I must admit, the house was downright creepy. Before heading to bed, we looked at flyers we gathered all day, and I went on and on about how excited I was to see the pig farm the following day. Patty looked at the map and said, "Oh no." I looked to see what she was talking about, and she pointed out the fine print under the farm's name that said it was open Saturday only. I was so upset...the one farm I wanted to see...and I missed it because I missed the fine print. P suggested we call, and I accepted the fact I would be missing it. I figured I could maybe email when I got home or visit in the future but I won't lie. I was crushed.
I can't believe we slept at all. We convinced ourselves the place was haunted, and the bed was so incredibly hard, I actually contemplated going to sleep in the car...
The next morning we groaned over body aches as we headed out again. We saw a garlic farm, a raspberry farm and a blue berry farm. We were pulling into a lavender farm and I decided to try my luck and call the pig and turkey farm. I had recited in my head what I was going to say over and over... I explained that I didn't notice they were only open one day and that we had traveled a really long way to see her farm. I told her I was interested in raising Berkshire hogs and Heritage turkeys for my own meat source, (I'll explain more about that later,) and after a few more minutes she agreed to let us come see her farm and answer our questions. YES!!! We rushed throught the lavender farm and headed to Karry's farm. She was wonderful! We spent almost two hours there! She walked us out to her pig pen which appeared to be empty. She clapped her hands together and said, "Cmere Willie!" Patty about peed herself. The pig that trotted out was over 600 pounds. Willie truly had a face only a mother could love, but the way she was "laughing"/snorting was addictive. What a beautiful animal. Karry shared with us the breeding process, why Berkshire meat was so incredible, and showed us the basics of pig housing. We talked about breeders, advertising and selling, and even watched Willie eat an egg.
Then we checked out Karry's heritage turkeys. She has Slate Heritage Turkeys, various chickens and ducks. We talked about potential predators, incubating eggs, selling turkeys and turkey saddles, (I'll explain those later too...it's not what you think.)
She then took us inside, and copied us article after article of pig information. After leaving Karry's farm we felt our adventure was complete. Three hours and two ferry rides later we were back home on our farm.
Thank you again Karry for your time and all the info!!!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful trip and weekend! Dad and I finally got all catch up on your blog! You are so witty and such a good writer! Need to work on publishing something for sure! We are both looking forward to seeing your FARM over the holidays and this infamous chicken coop and chickens!
    Love you D & T

    ReplyDelete