Friday, February 11, 2011

The Farm Planner

Today was the big day I have been waiting for, for about 6 months! The farm planner came out to assess my farm, and help me create a farm plan.
My county's extension office offers farm planners, free of charge. They come out, evaluate soil types, water run off and soil erosion issues, appropriate "animal units" per acre and even provide engineered designs of hua's (Heavy use areas...duh), and compost systems based on your animal population and need. They can even provide grants for fencing, and design drainage systems (you're goin down natural spring).
So Ron, (Mr. Farm Planner) was supposed to arrive at 3ish this afternoon. Well, I took Smooth Move tea last night before I went to bed, and guess what time it started to work? About 2:57ish. When he pulled up in his white truck, (with a strobe on top that Dixie could totally rock,) I jumped into my tahoe, and had him follow me to the back of the property. Mom and Super steve were down there waiting for us, because they wanted to hear what he had to say, and get some information on what a farm planner can do. Fortunately, we spent most of our conversation leaning against his truck, and no one noticed my white knuckled fists. He asked what my plans were, and I layed out my plans for the next 3 years. He jotted everything down, showed me an overhead picture of my property, and I prayed to Big, Tall and Studly that the field grasses wouldn't make me sneeze. By the time we started touring the property it passed...(the feeling, nothing else.) He was pretty impressed by the chicken run, and told me I had a beautiful wetlands. (No one has ever said that to me before...I may have blushed.) He called my seasonal creek a "storm water drain off" which was great because it moved my proposed fenceline that much closer to it. He snapped a picture of my old barn, and my fruit trees. He told me I had a beautiful piece of land. Next, Mr. Farm Planner is going to take all the info I gave him, and establish an actual plan. I will share the details of it when it gets released. But his visit today puts me one step closer to this farm's grand opening. I am going to call it the Beckypalooza...3 days of music, love and manure.
The barn is coming along great. The outer wall has been built, and the windows are framed in. I walked into the barn and looked out what will be a window toward what will be the garden. I kind of feel like I am building my own clubhouse... I am going to have secret hiding places and may even require a password for entry.
"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined."
-Henry David Thoreau

No comments:

Post a Comment