Sunday, February 20, 2011

Sunday, February 13 2011

Up and out of the house at 530AM. Today, Mariah my mom and I went to see Willy, the Berkshire pig. Two weeks ago, she had her babies, and Karry invited us up to see them, and to stay for her husband's famous frittata since we were traveling 3 hours and catching a ferry just to see everybody!
The ride over was beautiful. I've always loved Whidbey Island. We pulled into Karry's driveway around 9am and the jets were flying overhead one after the other from the nearby Naval air station.
Karry greeted all three of us with huge hugs and took us out to see the babies. She called out Willy, who my mom was seeing for the first time. She couldn't believe her eyes at Willy's size! I got good pictures of them together. :)
Then out trotted out a few of the babies. Mariah brought her "Big purse" and I told Karry to count her piglets before we left.... Mariah, nor anyone else got that close to one of the precious little piglets though...Willy was a great mom.
They were so adorable. Their little pink snouts and long eyelashes. Karry informed us all of them were sold, and that she still had a waiting list. Way to go Karry!!! She then picked up ALIA, (Am Lucky I'm Alive.) This was the little piglet she thought she was going to lose when she was first born... and since then has decided to keep her. She was so cute. It definitely has to be a challenge in the farming community to raise something from a baby knowing it is being raised for butcher. I'm pretty sure I can handle that though. :)
While we were out looking at the pigs, Karry asked me if I would be interested in helping her this year during the farm tour in September. Are you kidding?! To work on the farm tour with Karry and Willy?! How cool would that be?! (Later when I got home, I realized its the same weekend Mariah, my sister and I are doing the Susan G. Komen 3 day walk for breast cancer. :( So not only will I not get to help Karry out, I'm going to be missing the farm tour all together this year. Shit shit shit. Oh well, its for a great cause, and there will always be another farm tour...)
After seeing the piglets, we went in for breakfast. It was excellent! Mariah scarfed hers down and she doesn't even like eggs!!!
Karry, my mom and I then sat and discussed farm plans. She showed me hers, so I would know what to expect when the farm planner completed mine. Tons and tons of info, and many great things to apply for assistance on.
On the way home, Mariah and I rocked out to her Ipod with my mom in the back seat. It was a great day.
Thanks Karry for bringing us into your home once again! Come see us soon!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment