Thursday, August 12, 2010

Is there an exterminator in the house???

I hate bugs....I'm sure on some deep level that is way over my head, all bugs have a purpose. But I'm tired of them...The biting flies, the yellow jackets, the mosquitos etc...
So last week I was pulling weeds and scotch broom along the dirt road... I went to take down a 4 foot Christmas tree, and I noticed the branches were moving. I looked closer, and it was ants. Big ones, all over the damn tree. They were even making little chains from branch to branch with their bodies. I followed the path on the ground, across the dirt road to the other side. About 6 feet off the road is a huge ant hill! It's probably 2 feet wide, and 2 feet high and it's made of pine needles. I took a close look at the ants so I could look them up online. They are red with black butts, and are similar to carpenter ants. They are "formica obscuripes". I went to the hardware store, and they recommended a liquid and a powder. I put a couple ounces to a gallon of water in our sprayer, and went to save the world...
Well the stupid sprayer didn't work right...and the ants were laughing at me and flipping me off...so I did the only thing that came to mind. I unscrewed the top off of the sprayer, and poured the whole thing out on top of the anthill. Laugh at that you little bastards!!! I then poured the white powder around the base of the hill, and all over the dirt road.
When P and I went down to the barn the next day, I saw one of the little beasts carrying a dead one across the road. Good...at least I knocked out one of them! P threw a rock at the ant hill, and HUNDREDS of them swarmed to the top of the hill. I guess next is PLAN B....

No comments:

Post a Comment