Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Not all who wander are lost...

I am so incredibly lucky...The other day I walked down my dirt road down into the field. My workboots kicked at the gravel and I took in a deep breath (probably activating my allergies). The 4 foot tall grass gently waved in the breeze, and the busy bees hovered from clover to clover and occasionally swarmed around my head. I heard the crow of Jun, acknowledging my arrival. I looked to the tops of the pine trees toward the puffy clouds, feeling the rare Washington sun on my face. After tossing the corn to the girls (and Jun), I braved my way through the tall grass and headed toward the orchard. I watched a mama quail and her brood run through the grass and saw other birds dart in and out of the trees...(hopefully eating all the damn mosquitos). I checked each fruit tree over...looking for any sign of fruit or disease. I crossed the field and checked my walnut trees, and the little silver maple my grandpa sent me that is now two feet tall. Sometimes I feel so overwhelmed out here...I don't know if I feel like I am 5 again, on the coolest adventure of my life, or if I feel 33 and all grown up...on the coolest adventure of my life...
The thought crossed my mind of laying in the grass...hiding from the world, and watching the clouds go by...but then again, ever since the whole tick event, I am not going to make access for them any easier than it has to be!
I realize every day that not everyone gets to live this way. I know it isn't "normal" that someone can step outside their back door, and pluck a blueberry off their own bush and pop it in their mouth. Or be able to look out their living room window and see a mama bird feed her chirping babies in a bird house I put up last year.
I've decided I want to make this available for everyone...I don't want all of you camping in my backyard...but I would love people to come visit...Someday I want elementary school classes to come visit and pet farm animals they've never seen before...for them to pick their own apples and sample some juice made from them. I want families to come pick out their pumpkins every year, and make my farm one of their family traditions.
I could die tomorrow...and I would be so satisfied that I have lived and have had what I always wanted....except for the new kitchen...and to make my own cider and trail mix...to have one of my own turkeys for thanksgiving....oh and to fix up my old truck...and to publish that damn novel...ok...maybe I'm not ready to die tomorrow... ;)
And I am so lucky to have P and my family to share it with...there is nothing better than having a hand to hold on my way back up that dirt road...

1 comment:

  1. I will always be there to hold your hand...or to have you pull me up the hill :)

    ReplyDelete